Are you a walker? Do you like to walk for exercise or do you make yourself walk because you know it’s good for you? I do both I guess. Sometimes I enjoy getting outside and going on a stroll and many times my husband will join me. That’s a great way to spend some quality time with my spouse.
How about your walk with the Lord? Is it something you enjoy? It should be. I have to admit there are days I don’t feel like spending time with Him and other days that I make myself read His Word more out of duty than love. During these pandemic days our daily time with the Lord ought to be the primary part of our day. We should do it as much as possible. We need to do some strenuous walking with Him so our hearts and minds can be strengthened. We certainly need that strength during these troublesome times.
Adam and Eve walked with God every morning in the cool of the day. That is, until they sinned and then they were ashamed and embarrassed and tried to hide from Him. Praise God He made a way of forgiveness and when our hearts are clean, we can once again enjoy His fellowship.
20 ways to Walk with God
1. Walk in the Spirit-The next 19 verses tell us how to walk in the Spirit.
Galatians 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
2. Walk not after the flesh-Ah, that rotten flesh which is always getting in the way and always battling with the Spirit.
Romans 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
3. Walk in good works-We belong to the Lord. We are created to walk in His good works. It’s His goodness, not ours for we have none of our own.
Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
4. Walk after His commands- What’s the greatest command? Love the Lord with all your heart, mind, soul, strength, and the second, love your neighbor as yourself.
2 John 1:6 And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.
5. Walk by faith – Abraham is a great example of this! Our church fellowship is doing a whole study on this. We should not rely on our senses and reasoning. When we walk by sight we become anxious and fearful, but walking by faith gives us peace and confidence in the One with whom we are walking.
2 Corinthians 5:7 (For we walk by faith, not by sight:)
6. Walk circumspectly-Let’s be careful and wise in the way we live. Search the Scriptures and become wiser.
Ephesians 5:15 See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,
7. Walk worthy-Live in such a manner as to honor God. And what an honor it is to be called of Him. Walk worthy of that calling.
1 Thessalonians 2:12 That ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory.
8. Walk in wisdom-Do others see that I am a wise person? Others are watching our lives. What do they see? Be cautious in how you conduct yourself. Do they see Jesus in me?
Colossians 4:5 Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time.
9. Walk in truth-What a blessed joy to see my own children and grandchildren walking in Truth. Jesus is THE TRUTH. Without Him there is no Truth. Do you know Him? Are you walking in His Truth?
3 John 1:4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.
10. Walk in His ways-Step by Step the Lord will direct your path so that you can walk His way. Trust Him, He will show you the way.
Deuteronomy 8:6 Therefore thou shalt keep the commandments of the Lord thy God, to walk in his ways, and to fear him.
11. Walk in integrity-Do others see you as a person of integrity?
Psalm 26:11 But as for me, I will walk in mine integrity: redeem me, and be merciful unto me.
12. Walk in the light of His countenance
Psalm 89:15 Blessed is the people that know the joyful sound: they shall walk, O Lord, in the light of thy countenance.
13. Walk uprightly-What a joy when our hearts are right with the Lord and we walk in the light of His presence. May He bless us by causing His face to shine upon us. God can surely “give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ” (2 Corinthians 4:6)
Psalm 84:11 For the Lord God is a sun and shield: the Lord will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.
14. Walk in the way of the good men-God orders the steps of a good man. None of us are good except through the righteousness of Jesus who gave His life for us.
Proverbs 2:20 That thou mayest walk in the way of good men, and keep the paths of the righteous.
15. Walk as Children of light-Have you come to the LIGHT? Then walk as children of light so that others see our light shining.
Ephesians 5:8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
16. Walk honestly- Walk in a becoming, decent and respectable way so unbelievers will have nothing to say.
1 Thessalonians 4:12 That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that ye may have lack of nothing.
17. Walk as Jesus walked-What would Jesus do? Perhaps it would do good if we would ask ourselves that question more often.
1 John 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
18. Walk in the old paths-Do you want rest for your soul? Then walk in the old paths when the children of Israel said as for me and my house we will serve the Lord.
Jeremiah 6:16 Thus saith the Lord, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.
19. Walk in your house with a perfect heart-Do your own household see you walk with a heart pleasing to God? We ought to be the same at home as we are in front of anyone else, walking wisely in uprightness before the Lord.
Psalm 10:2 I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart.
20. Walk in newness of life-Do you profess to be in Christ? Then 2 Corinthians 5:17 should be true in your life. Are you a new creature? Does it show?
Romans 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
Just a Closer Walk With Thee
I am weak, but Thou art strong;
Jesus, keep me from all wrong;
I’ll be satisfied as long
As I walk, let me walk close to Thee.
Through this world of toil and snares,
If I falter, Lord, who cares?
Who with me my burden shares?
None but Thee, dear Lord, none but Thee.
When my feeble life is o’er,
Time for me will be no more;
Guide me gently, safely o’er
To Thy kingdom shore, to Thy shore.
Just a closer walk with Thee,
Grant it, Jesus, is my plea,
Daily walking close to Thee,
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.