Do you have a hurting heart? It is only normal that all human beings will have a hurting heart at one time or another and probably many times throughout their life time. Why? Because sin entered the world when Adam and Eve rebelled against God in the garden of Eden. Ever since then there has been sin and destruction, life events that are often tragedies, and many many hurting people all over the world.
Today my heart hurts.
Although there may be a few present trials in my life, that is not why I am hurting. Trials are not uncommon. Trials are in everyone’s life. If you know the Lord, we can learn to be patient, to wait on the Lord, and to allow these trials grow us in the Lord. We can go to Him who gives rest in and through all of it.
But today my heart hurts for someone else who is going through a trial that I cannot even imagine. I’m sure some of you may have faced or are facing something similar. Some friends lost a son and a brother due to a horrific hunting accident. As much as I’d like to say that I know how their hearts are feeling, I can’t really say it, because I cannot even imagine the hurt and the anguish that must be there. I can only empathize with them and try to put myself in the same situation.
Suddenly my hurts don’t seem so big anymore. But I know that God cares about all of our heartaches no matter how big or small. So what do you do when all your cares seem to come crashing down on you just totally crushing your spirit?
There is only one thing to do. Take your burden to the Lord and leave it there. Again I realize this is so easy for me to say when my burdens are light in comparison to others. People say does Jesus really care?
Oh yes He cares, I know He cares,
His Heart is touched with my grief
When the days grow dreary, the long nights weary
I know my Savior Cares.
This family realized they could cast all their cares on the Lord. While speaking to them during the visitation, they expressed the grace of God upon their lives during this difficult time. Only God can take you through this. What an amazing testimony they were to me.
I weep now as I think of these dear people. Does Jesus really care when your heart has this much pain? Does he care when you have to say goodbye unexpectedly to one who is so very dear to your heart? Yes, He cares! I remind myself to look to Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross (Heb. 12:2) Jesus looked forward to the joy that was to come and so endured the cross for you and me.
He cared enough to die for me, to bear all my ugly sins in His body, to take the punishment for my sin so that I might be made the righteousness of God in Him.
2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
Through this He gives me peace and assurance that I will see Him face to face one day and stand complete in Him.
1 Peter 5:10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.
All throughout God’s Word we see that He cared!
He cared for Abraham when he sent him out and he didn’t even know where his home would be
He cared for Lot, even when he vexed his soul from day to day living among the very wicked in the city of Sodom
He cared for Jacob when he lost His wife Rachel and then thought he had lost his son, Joseph.
He cared for Joseph when it look as though everything was against him
He cared for Naomi and Ruth when Naomi was in bitterness of soul
He cared for David as he was chased by his enemies over and over
He cared for Jeremiah when he was in the deepest of despair
He cared for Stephen while he was martyred for His faith and thousands more of whom the world is not worthy
He cared for Martha and Mary when their brother died
He cared for the widow whose son was dead on the stretcher.
These are just a tiny bit of the Lord’s love and compassion for us. They are all written for our example that we might learn to fear the Lord and to trust Him with all our hearts, to not try to figure things out for ourselves, but just take one step at a time know that He works all for our good in order that we might be conformed more to His image.
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Romans 8:28-29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, …
There is another song that has kept ringing through my head these past few days. Here are the lyrics:
“Wonderful, Merciful Savior”
(originally by Eric Wyse)
Wonderful merciful Savior
Precious Redeemer and Friend
Who would have thought that a Lamb
Cold rescue the souls of men
Oh, You rescue the souls of men
Counselor, Comforter, Keeper
Spirit we long to embrace
You offer hope when our hearts have
Hopelessly lost our way
Oh, we’ve hopelessly lost the way
Almighty, infinite Father
Faithfully loving Your own
Here in our weakness You find us
Falling before Your throne
Oh, we’re falling before Your throne
You are the One that we praise
You are the One we adore
You give the healing and grace
Our hearts always hunger for
Oh, our hearts always hunger for
15 Bible Verses For The Hurting
1. Psalm 42:11 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.
2. Psalm 147:3 He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds.
3. Psalm 34:18 The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
4. 1 Corinthians 4:17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;.
5. Psalm 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
6. Psalm 119:50 This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me.
7. Isaiah 49:13 Sing, O heavens; and be joyful, O earth; and break forth into singing, O mountains: for the Lord hath comforted his people, and will have mercy upon his afflicted.
8. Matthew 5:4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
9. John 14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
10. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.
11. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words.
12. Psalm 119:114 Thou art my hiding place and my shield: I hope in thy word.
13. Psalm 61:2 From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
14. 1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon Him for He careth for you.
15. Isaiah 26:3 Thous wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
Are you hurting today? Remember Jesus Cares. Take your burden to Him. He weeps with us when we weep. One day we will rejoice that is was but a light affliction. (2 Corinthians 4:17)