This grandma was privileged to go on an outing with a couple of her grand littles this past week. It is amazing what lessons can be learned from these special times together.
Note: Affiliate Links are associated with this post – Disclosure Here
“Grandma, you never got me anything for my K5 graduation!” said K. “K!”, shouted big sister, “you are not supposed to say that to Grandma!” Oh, now K is crying because she feels badly for asking. Grandma soothed her. “Don’t feel bad, K. It’s ok. I’m glad you asked because I really intended to get you something, but just kept forgetting. Why don’t we just have a date day and Grandma will take you out to eat and shopping. You can pick out your own present.” Now the crying is stopped. A secret is made between Grandma and K that mama will not hear that she asked. K is now very excited about her special day. K decided it would be nice to let cousin K come along too!
Grandma’s Outing with the Littles
Two little precious girls were going to spend the day with grandma eating out and shopping. All three of them were excited! It is such a wonderful feeling to have grandchildren who love you and who actually like being with you. So Grandma headed out to the first house to pick one of them up and was thrilled to also be able to hold her newborn sister. Grandma and K headed to the second house and picked up K here. Both K’s were ready way ahead of time, dressed and grinning from ear to ear. It was a fun day and a tiring day for Grandma, but a day well worth it with lots of memories made.
It was off to Chick-fil-A for a little lunch outing and a time to play on their playground. From their it was a trip to Walmart and on to the Dollar Store. It was such fun watching them shop and seeing and hearing the excitement in their actions and voices as they made decisions on what to get. It was hard for them not to ask for everything and hard for grandma to resist getting everything. 🙂
10 Lessons Grandma learned from this outing
These precious granddaughters were delighted to spend the day with Grandma. They were ready and eager and waiting for me to pick them up and be with them for the day.
1. Readiness and Eagerness is a quality that every child of God ought to have each day as they prepare to spend time with the King of kings. Proverbs 8:34 Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors.
Fellowship throughout the day was enjoyed among ourselves. Grandma’s ears were “talked off” as well as each others’s ears!
2. The King of kings, God Himself, would certainly love it if His ears were “talked off” by His children. He would love to hear anything and everything from them. He has made His throne of grace available anytime night or day that He might give help and mercy and grace in times of need.
These granddaughters absolutely loved shopping! They couldn’t get enough of it! They looked at everything they could possibly look at and their eyes were continually luring them to many things – some good, some not so good. They didn’t always have the discernment to know if it was a good or bad thing. Some of these things, Grandma could give them right now, but others would have to wait or maybe there would never be a right time. But one thing for sure, Grandma had to be in control. Although grandma loves them very much, it would not have been a loving thing to give them every single thing they wanted.
3. God alone discerns between the good and the bad for us. He knows what is best for us. He knows what we need right now and what we need later or what we may never need. He also knows all our wants and He often fulfills those wants. Sometimes He fulfills them just to teach us a lesson and other times He does it just because He loves us. Sometimes He tells us we need to wait for He alone knows the best time to give it. But one thing for sure, God has to be in control! He needs to be the Master. Because He loves all of us very much, we can rest assured that He will do what is best for us.
These precious girls asked for things and today I gave them things.
4. You know what? God gives us things when we ask too! He has given me many things that I’ve asked for and I try to keep a journal of His blessings. He very often gives me things I want, not just what I need. Oh how loving He is! Matthew 7:11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?
I am a sinner, an evil person, saved by grace – hallelujah! Did you know that an evil person (a sinner-All are sinners) knows how to give good things to their children?
5. How much more does God give good things to those who ask Him. And that includes the power of the Holy Spirit upon one’s life! Luke 11:13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?
K and K enjoyed the things that they received. They talked about them and used them and shared them with each other.
6. A child of God ought to enjoy God’s blessings and talk of all His wondrous works. He ought to talk about all the good things that God does for him. These are things that ought to be dwelt on all day long and shared with others. Psalms 105:2 Sing unto him, sing psalms unto him: talk ye of all his wondrous works.
K and K got upset if something didn’t work right or got broken or was misused.
7. Children in God’s family who are saved by grace should get upset over their sin. They ought to get upset when they realize they have misused or haven’t made use of the good things that God bestows on them daily. God’s Goodness ought to lead them to repentance and confession of sin. Romans 2:4 . . . the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?
After a while all these treasures which were received during this shopping outing will wear out and/or the newness of them will wear off and new things will be desired.
8. The treasure of God’s Word ought to never wear off! His Goodness in giving us good things ought to never wear out! Daily gratitude and excitement over the things of God ought to be a regular part of a child of God. However, every child of God needs a daily refreshing from His Word, a renewing of the mind and strength in the inner man. He need a fresh anointing from the Spirit on a daily basis. Ephesians 3:16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; God’s children ought to definitely prepare Him a place of Habitation.
By the end of the day K and K and Grandma were tuckered out and Grandma was especially ready for a nap. Weariness had set in.
9. God’s children should never become weary in well doing. And gratefully God Himself never becomes weary; he never sleeps nor slumbers, but is continually caring for us. Galatians 6:9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.
K and K went home fulfilled. They had had a great day and were eager to tell their family and friends about it.
10. Fulfillment and true satisfaction comes only from trusting in Christ and walking daily with Him. As this is done each day can have an end with peaceful hearts and gratitude to God for all He has done. Each day will end with rest in the Lord as reliance and trust is placed in Him. For He truly never leaves, never forsakes, always guides, and always cares.
What a great way to end of perfect day. That is in perfect peace with the one and only Holy Almighty God who cares about each and every one as an individual and bestows good things upon His children. Anyone can have peace with God by putting their trust in Him and anyone can enjoy a fulfilled life by applying each of the above principles to their life on a daily basis. GOD IS GOOD! What lessons have you learned from your littles? I would love to hear some of them.
Let’s Connect for more Biblical Encouragment.