As we spend time with the Lord, we will find many ways to grow our faith. Below are 10 ways that may help you to grow your faith in the new year.
10 Ways to Grow Your Faith
1. Seek God every day – Am I seeking God with all my heart, soul, and mind? I’m commanded to, but if I love Him I should do it because I love Him, not just out of duty. How quick I am to get on my phone and/or my computer, or to doing my duties/chores of the day,and even to talk to or spend time with family/friends, But before anything, I need to seek God!
Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
2. Have a Bible Reading/Study plan – A good study Bible may help you as you dig into God’s Word! God tells us to study His Word so that we are not ashamed and can correctly explain and share His truths. Don’t just read God’s Word. Study it and if you’re not sure how to study it, then learn. Here’s a good way. I’m thankful for the Bible College that I attended and for good professors who taught me how to study God’s Word.
2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
3. Be involved in ministry. Recently, my husband and I were able to start a nursing home ministry in our town. There are so many nursing homes out there who need you or someone. There are people everywhere who are hurting and need love and need to know the love of Christ. If you’re not an aggressive person (and I’m not), then ask God to show you what to do and to put it “in your lap” and then go for it! We haven’t been in this ministry long, but it has been such a blessing already.
4. Journal your life. I don’t know how many times that one of my children have told me something wonderful that the Lord has done for them or about a prayer that has been answered. I will ask them if they wrote it down because one day your kids and grandkids will want to read about it. Many times I’ve gone back in my journal and read things that I had forgotten and will just begin praising the Lord for His wonderful works toward me and my family or toward others that I’ve heard wonderful things about! Just do it! Even if it is only a line or two. You will be glad and so will your children and grandchildren. And by all means write down your testimony so your children and grandchildren will know how the Lord worked to bring you to Christ.
5. Meditate and Memorize God’s Word. My devotions are over; I close my Bible and notebook and go on my merry way and forget so often. I need to put those words in my heart, not just my notebook; I need to think about them all the day long, sing them, and even ask God to help me dream them. (and yes, that is one of my daily prayers)
6. Listen to God’s Word – I need to do this more often than I do. It is nice as I do housework to put an audio Bible on and listen as I work. Godly music and sermons are also a great thing to listen to as I go about household duties. Often at night time, just before bed, my husband and I will listen to Scripture passages or put on a testimony such as you would hear from Unshackled. (listen here)
7. Confess and Forgive – Do you want your faith to grow? Then by all means keep your sins confessed before God because if I know there is sin in my heart, then God will not hear my prayers. And forgive as He forgives. When I realize what a great sinner I am and how I needed the Savior and that He was willing to forgive me, then I too can forgive others not matter how bad I may feel they have wronged me or a loved one. Instead of becoming bitter over wrongs toward you and your loved ones, become better through the power of the Holy Spirit in your life.
8. Encourage other believers. I can encourage others even by just a smile and a thank you. I can encourage my own family by love and kindness, and I can encourage fellow believers with Truths from God’s Word. In this evil world, that we live in, we need so much more to encourage each other and lift each other up in the Lord.
9. Find a missionary penpal. Do you know any missionaries? Do you pray for them? Do you let them know that you’re praying for them? Nowadays with so many ways to communicate quickly, we really have no excuse for not encouraging our missionaries.
10. Share your faith. If you’re like me, I don’t go many places. But I seek to share my faith through this blog, or on social media. What opportunities we have today! And when I do go places, I carry tracts to leave places, to hand out to someone or to leave with a tip for my server.
These ways to grow your faith are just an outpouring of your love for the Lord. If I truly love Him, then my faith will grow. Some days I may not feel like it is, but as I look back over the year and see what great things He has done for me, I can only shout Glory Hallelujah!
God’s everlasting mercy and grace is so amazing. Praise God, He saved a wretch like me and is working in my heart and use me for His Glory!
I love the little song that goes:
He’s still working on me,
to make me what I ought to be
It took Him just a week to make the moon and stars,
the sun and the earth and Jupiter and Mars.
How loving and patient He must be!
He’s still working on me!