20 Encouraging Bible Verses for Dementia and Alzheimer Caregivers
You never know how you might be a blessing to someone. I received an email from someone recently who was encouraged by the message I had sent out recently. Some days are hard on her because she is the caregiver for someone very dear to her who has dementia. Although I too have cared for someone with dementia, and found many day difficult and lonely, it was not the person dearest to my heart as it is for this friend. I cannot even imagine that, but it could happen to any one of us.
Recently, I came across a devotional book specifically for Caregivers of Dementia and Alzheimer patients.
This is a super little devotional book that can really be an encouragement to anyone who is a caregiver.
- 60 devotionals with Scripture,
- Words and actual happenings full of encouragement
- Questions for reflection.
Through them you can find strength and wisdom and company from others in the same predicament. It is full of practical advice and truths from God’s Word to uplift and encourage you along your often hard and lonely journey.
by Deborah Barr and forwarded by Gary Chapman
What an unexpected journey many of us face as we take upon our selves the task of caregiver, and how we need God’s grace to help along the way!
I would have loved to have a copy of this book when I was the caregiver. As I read through it now it is such a blessing. Here are a couple places you can order the book for yourself. HERE and HERE (Affiliate links)
But how thankful I am that I had God’s Word to minister to my heart during this time.
Over and over the Word of God spoke to my heart as I cared for this dear person. Here are 20 verses that are very helpful in times like these and have ministered to my own heart. I hope they are also a blessing to you in whatever area of ministry you may find yourself. And yes, being a caregiver is a very special ministry!
You can sign up below for this free printable
1. Psalms 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God: . . .
2. Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
- Oh the peace of God that passes all understanding!
3. Galatians 6:9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.
4. Proverbs 17:22 A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.
- Laugh, find humor in different situations. It will help. I can remember numerous times I had to laugh and overlook what my patient was saying and doing – like getting my toes stomped with a cane, or being “chewed out” with vulgar language. But I knew this was not the real person.
5. Psalms 61:2 From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
6. Proverbs 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.
- No matter what, always be kind and loving
7. 1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
8. 2 Corinthians 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
9. Psalms 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
10. James 1:3-5 Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
- God is growing us in our walk with Him. He does it often through trials and He gives wisdom along the way.
11. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.
12. Colossians 3:23-24 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.
13. Hebrews 6:10 For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.
14. Psalms 30:5 . . . weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.
15. Lamentations 3:22-23 It is of the LORD’S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.
16. Psalms 56:8 Thou tellest my wanderings: put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not in thy book?
- God sees and knows all our sorrows and tears and thoughts. He stores all our tears away and He comforts
17. Matthew 11:28-30 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
18. Romans 8:28-29 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
- Caregiving can either be viewed as an interruption in one’s life plan or as the fulfillment of a holy purpose ordained by God ~ L.A.Born Yes, He is making us more like Himself.
19. Philippians 4:6-7 Be careful for nothing; (Don’t be anxious, don’t worry) but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
20. Isaiah 49:15 Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee.
- You may be forgotten by a loved one, but God will never forget you.
It Will Be Worth It All!
One day these trials will be over and we can say it was worth it all. When we see the face of Jesus and hear Him say Well done, thou good and faithful servant, then we will know that our labor was not in vain. You can get your own copy of this devotional right here and why not take each of these verses and hide them in your heart as you face each and every trial that the Lord allows you to go through.
Thanks to Moody Publishers for providing this book in exchange for an honest review.
I have printed the above 20 verses in pdf form. You can get immediate access to your own copy by filling out the information below. I hope they will be a great encouragement to you in your walk with the Lord.