9 Characteristics of a Christian’s Music
As he taught on music he gave us some characteristics that ought to reflect the music of a Christian. Truly, the music of a Christian ought to be different from that of the world.
Psalms 40:3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth,
even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear,
and shall trust in the LORD.
9 characteristics of a Christian’s Music
- My music must show my changed life or regenerated experience.
- If there is no change, then we have a defective salvation or perhaps, no salvation. 2Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
- My music should show ownership. We are not our own. We belong to Christ.
- Be careful what you put into your body, mind, and soul. Does it reflect the ownership of Christ? 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.
- My music should indicate that I am denying worldliness.
- 1John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. (A lot of “Christian Music” music appeals to the lust of the flesh) Romans 16:19 For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.
- My music must indicate that I am avoiding compromise.
- 2Corinthians 6:14-18 – 7:1 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty. Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
- My music must show that I am an example to the believer.
- 1 Timothy 4:12 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation (my lifestyle), in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity. Our life should be a pattern.
- My music must be a witness to unbelievers.
- Colossians 4:5 Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, …Ephesians 5:15 See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,
- My music must indicate that I am true to my exalted position in Christ.
- Ephesians 2:5-10 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
- My music must reflect submission to the Holy Spirit.
- Ephesians 5:18-19 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; Colossians 3:16-17 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.
- My music needs to reflect God’s order in the universe.
- God is orderly. 1 Corinthians 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints. 1 Corinthians 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order.
If you are in the ministry and have questions about music, here are a few guidelines you can use:
- Ask yourself – what does this music sound like? Does it sound like what the rest of the world is listening to?
- Restrict sources of music to those places you know about.
- Constantly study and preach it in application.
- Don’t turn the music over to a layman.
- Spend money on books and tapes for you and your family.
- Pray for discernment – Beware of “praise choruses”, etc.
- Avoid concert tours – Gaither, etc.
- Buy and Play music from good sources.
- Explain to new converts the conflict.
Good Sites for good music:
Here are a few sites that you can purchase good music from. I am sure there are others. If you have a suggestion, please leave it in the comment box. Thank you.