I found 6 great lessons from I Samuel 12 to continue to teach and instill into the hearts of my grandchildren. It is so amazing how fresh and up to date the Word of God always is in our day to day lives. I hope I am having even just a little tiny influence in the lives of my grandchildren. Oh how I want them to know the Savior and have a heart’s desire to serve Him all the days of their lives because they love Him.
Fear Not and Yet Only Fear The Lord
1 Samuel 12:20-25 And Samuel said unto the people, Fear not: ye have done all this wickedness: yet turn not aside from following the LORD, but serve the LORD with all your heart; And turn ye not aside: for then should ye go after vain things, which cannot profit nor deliver; for they are vain. For the LORD will not forsake his people for his great name’s sake: because it hath pleased the LORD to make you his people. Moreover as for me, God forbid that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you: but I will teach you the good and the right way: Only fear the LORD, and serve him in truth with all your heart: for consider how great things he hath done for you. But if ye shall still do wickedly, ye shall be consumed, both ye and your king.
Six Great Lessons:
- “Fear Not” – Isn’t it amazing how God says “Fear Not”? Even though Israel had done great wickedness, He tells them to fear not if they are willing to follow the Lord and serve Him with all their hearts. I want my grandchildren to realize that yes, we need to fear the Lord and keep His commandments, but we also do not have to fear when we are following Him wholeheartedly! Yes, we are all wicked sinners in need of a Savior, but we NEED NOT FEAR if we’ve repented, been saved, and are serving the Lord with all our hearts!
- “And Turn Not Aside” – Don’t get distracted from doing what the Lord wants. Don’t let the vain things of this world or ungodly friends and counsel turn you aside from the Lord. They can never profit or deliver you.
- “For the Lord Will Not Forsake” – Listen, He will never leave you! It is usually because of our own guilt and shame when we’ve fallen into sin that we feel like the Lord has left us and doesn’t want us anymore. That is a lie of the devil! He will never leave you; when you believed, He made you His child. That pleased Him! He will never leave His children. Just think how awesome it is to be a child of the Lord. I am His and He is Mine! Hallelujah!
- “Moreover as for me, God forbid that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you: but I will teach you the good and the right way” This grandma never want to stop praying for her grandchildren. I hope you don’t either. I want to diligently pray for them (Aff link) and teach them the good and right way – God’s way only!
- “Only fear the LORD, and serve him in truth with all your heart”– This grandma wants to emphasize over and over to her grandchildren to above all else, fear the Lord, worship Him, serve Him. Do it faithfully with all of your heart. Do it out of a heart of love for the Lord as you consider the great things He has done for you.
- “But if ye shall still do wickedly” – Oh dear grandchildren, don’t continue in sin! If Jesus has brought you up out of the miry clay and set you free through the power of Salvation, then don’t return to your wickedness. Sin has consequences. Always. It brings destruction. Ultimately, it brings death. It is only of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed. How gracious and merciful He is to each one of us every day! He is patient and kind and not willing that any should perish. Praise God, that when we do sin, we can always confess and forsake it for He promises to cleanse us. True repentance and love for the Lord will cause us to never desire to live in a sinful lifestyle. Be as a wise man and not as a simple man – if sinners entice thee, CONSENT THOU NOT! Purpose in your heart as Daniel did, not to defile yourself. The Lord will be with you and will always make a way of escape when you are tempted.
FEAR NOT and yet ONLY FEAR THE LORD!
Your fear of the Lord, your great reverence respect at His awesomeness and greatness, your realization that He is The Great Creator, Your Creator, and that you belong to Him, will cause you to Fear not, when you serve the Lord with your whole heart.
Have you trusted Him? Do you know Him? Don’t let another day go by without the Savior.
Here is a series on Biblical Truths to teach your grandchildren. It’s actually a series that I can add to continually. You can begin the series Here.