God’s Mercy is Great!
And in Psalm 136, we are reminded in every single verse how great His mercy is; it endures forever! Where would we be without God’ mercy? It is because of His mercy that we are not consumed. Lamentations 3:22 It is of the LORD’S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
According to Psalm 136, there are many reasons that we are to give thanks to God. And the reason we are to give thanks to God is because He is good and His mercy endures for ever!
So Let us give thanks for these reasons: (Psalms 136)
- He is good! – He alone is good and He is always good.
- He is the God of gods – We are to have no other gods before us.
- He is the LORD of lords – Is He LORD of my life?
- He alone does great wonders – His wonders are all around us.
- He, by His wisdom made the heavens.
- He stretched out the earth above the waters.
- He made great lights.
- He made the sun for day light. – Jesus is the “Son” Light, the light of the world.
- He made the moon and stars for night lights. – He lights all of my paths.
- He smote all the first born in Egypt. – Have I given Him my most precious possessions?
- He brought Israel out of Egypt. – He brought me out of the miry clay.
- He has a strong hand and a stretched out hand – His hand is not shortened that is cannot save. – it reaches all!
- He divided the Red Sea – No trial is too great for Him. No trial takes Him by surprise.
- He made Israel to pass through the middle of the Red Sea. – He will take me through every trial that I face.
- He overthrew Pharaoh and his hosts in the Red Sea. – He will destroy every enemy I have along the way. He will give me victory over my enemies.
- He led His people through the wilderness. – Do you know the song: My Lord knows the way through the wilderness, All I have to do is follow. Strength for today is mine all the way and all that I need for tomorrow!
- He smote great kings – He is ultimately in control of all leaders. I need to pray for our leaders.
- He slew famous kings. – If He chooses, He can bring down any ruler He wants.
- He gave lands to Israel for an heritage. – Prayer, obedience, faith in God can cause Christians to have victory in their own homeland.
- He remembers us in our low estate – He never leaves me nor forsakes me even at my lowest point. Remember the poem “Footprints in the Sand”
- He redeemed us from our enemies – He saved me from my sin – He gives me victory over enemies in my life: self, Satan, the world.
- He gives food to all flesh – He is our provider. I have more than enough. He gives me nourishment, physical and spiritual.
- He is the God of heaven – He is the one and Only God, the great Creator,He is omnipotent (all powerful), omniscient (all knowing), and omnipresent (Present everywhere). He is my God! He is my personal friend!
All the things listed in Psalm 136 are a result of God’s Mercy! And what great mercy it is! “For His Mercy Endureth For Ever!” Praise the Lord!
Picture courtesy of Freely Photos