Many Christians seem to forget or just don’t want to admit or think about the holiness of God. Their famous saying is God’s Grace. Yes, God’s grace, but we have forgotten some very important words – Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound – God forbid! Yes, God’s grace – it is sufficient for all our needs, to help us to live out holy lives before a holy God.
Psalm 99 states that we should praise God’s name because it is holy.
Psalms 99:3 Let them praise thy great and terrible name; for it is holy. Another word for terrible would be awesome and there is no other name as awesome as the name of God!
Psalm 99: 6-8 Moses and Aaron among his priests, and Samuel among them that call upon his name; they called upon the Lord, and he answered them. He spake unto them in the cloudy pillar: they kept his testimonies, and the ordinance that he gave them. Thou answeredst them, O Lord our God: thou wast a God that forgavest them, though thou tookest vengeance of their inventions.
- God answered those that were his when they called upon Him.
- Those that were His kept God’s commandments
- They were but men and they failed at times; God forgave them (God’s grace), but they also paid consequences.
Psalms 99:9 Exalt the LORD our God, and worship at his holy hill; for the LORD our God is holy.
God’s holiness as presented in Psalm 99
should cause us to live out Psalm 100.
Psalms 100:1-5 <<A Psalm of praise.>> Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands. Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing. Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name. For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.
Psalm 100 should be our Reaction to God’s Holiness
- Make a joyful noise unto the Lord – Who? All ye lands! One day all the lands will recognize who the Lord is!
- Serve the Lord – How? With gladness. What a privilege to serve the Lord. Are we glad for this privilege?
- Know ye that the LORD – He is God: He made us. We belong to Him. Once again, one day all men everywhere will know this and admit this and humble bow before Him and confess that Jesus is Lord.
- Enter into his gates with thanksgiving – Are we thankful for the opportunity to be in His house? Are we praising Him continually? Let us not forsake the assembling of ourselves together as believers.
- Be thankful – How often I see little trinkets and sayings that say give thanks or be thankful, but you don’t see what should be added to that saying, that is Give thanks to God or Be thankful unto him.
- Bless His Name – Have you blessed the Lord today? We can bless Him by doing all of the above.
Why should we do the above?
- The Lord is good
- His mercy is everlasting
- His truth endures to all generations – forever!
As we get ready to celebrate Thanksgiving, let us also remember to thank God for His holiness and then react accordingly.
Do you like Biblical Encouragement? Join for more right into your inbox.