Oh the greatness of our sin! Oh the woe it should bring to our hearts! Oh that we would not consent when we are tempted of the devil or drawn away through our own lusts. But praise God He is faithful and just and always forgives!
Note: This post contains affiliate links – disclosure here
2 Samuel 24:10-14 And David’s heart smote him after that he had numbered the people. And David said unto the LORD, I have sinned greatly in that I have done: and now, I beseech thee, O LORD, take away the iniquity of thy servant; for I have done very foolishly. For when David was up in the morning, the word of the LORD came unto the prophet Gad, David’s seer, saying, Go and say unto David, Thus saith the LORD, I offer thee three things; choose thee one of them, that I may do it unto thee. So Gad came to David, and told him, and said unto him, Shall seven years of famine come unto thee in thy land? or wilt thou flee three months before thine enemies, while they pursue thee? or that there be three days’ pestilence in thy land? now advise, and see what answer I shall return to him that sent me. And David said unto Gad, I am in a great strait: let us fall now into the hand of the LORD; for his mercies are great: and let me not fall into the hand of man.
Lessons from David’s sin in numbering the people
- Has your heart been smitten when you choose to sin against the Lord? I hope the Lord will always smite my heart when I sin. This is a good sign that the Holy Spirit indwells and is working on me.
- Confession was made to the Lord – not to a man, but to God himself. Confession causes us to admit our sin and the greatness of it before God.
- Consenting to sin is always foolish. The fool hath said in his hear there is no God or has said NO, GOD! How often I have played the part of a fool by saying NO, God, I would rather do it my way.
- Even when David realized his sin and repented, he still had to suffer the consequences. Our repentance does not necessarily mean no consequences.
- God Chastens those who He loves. Praise God He does for that is what puts us back on track.
- Yes, God will forgive, but I still may need teaching and reminders to keep my heart right with Him
- God’s mercies are so great! If not for His mercy we would all be consumed.
- David’s sin affected others in so many ways. Don’t ever think that it won’t affect others. We don’t even realize how much our sin affects others. Don’t be the cause of the ruin of another person’s life.