Seven More Lessons From The Life Of Jonah
So many lessons from Jonah’s life. Here are seven more.
Jonah 2:1-10 Then Jonah prayed unto the LORD his God out of the fish’s belly, And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice. For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me. Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight; yet I will look again toward thy holy temple. The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head. I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God. When my soul fainted within me I remembered the LORD: and my prayer came in unto thee, into thine holy temple. They that observe lying vanities forsake their own mercy. But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD. And the LORD spake unto the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land.
1. Much too often we wait until we are in trouble to pray, but praise God, He hears us! V1 Lesson Learned: Don’t wait until I am in trouble to pray, but pray continually keeping my heart tuned to the Lord. Psalms 119:71 It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes.
2. God hears us when we are repentant! V2 Lesson Learned: I need to be aware of sin in my life and repent of it immediately.
3. The Lord has brought my life from corruption! Praise God! He took my feel from the miry clay, Yes He did! Yes he did! He set them on the rock to stay! Yes He did! Yes He did! V6 Lesson Learned: God is in control. He will not let His children go. He will bring chastisement on His children, but will also deliver them from corruption, whether through salvation or when we choose to obey.
4. When my soul faints, is overwhelmed, I can go to God. V7 Lesson Learned: I can go to the Rock of my salvation, Jesus, any time my soul faints or I am overwhelmed.
5. Jonah was thankful now in the midst of this great trial. V9 Lesson Learned: Give thanks in everything! 1 Thessalonians 5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
6. I need to return to my vows every time I get away from God. I need to fulfill my promises to Him. I need to go right back where I left off from serving Him! V9 I will pay that that I have vowed. Lesson Learned: Just because I went astray from God’s will, does not make my promises to Him null and void. I am still accountable to Him. Am I true to my word? James 5:12 But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.
7. When Jonah repented and took a step of obedience, God acted! V10 Lesson Learned: Just trust and obey – let God do the rest!