The enemy seeks our souls every day!
We are often so busy and unaware that the enemy is continually surrounding us and pursuing us. David had to be watching all the time for Saul was continually trying to kill him.
1. Saul continually wanted to kill David.
(1Sa 19:1) And Saul spake to Jonathan his son, and to all his servants, that they should kill David.
- The enemy continually wants to destroy us – 1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
2. It was the Lord who restrained the enemy, Saul from killing David and protected him over and over.
Only by God’s will is the enemy allowed to do anything. If you know the Lord then “greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.” (I John 4:4)
- It is the Lord who restrains our enemies and keeps us from destruction and protects us over and over
James 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 1 John 4:4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
3. David had friends and helpers amidst the enemy.
(1Sa 19:2) But Jonathan Saul’s son delighted much in David: and Jonathan told David, saying, Saul my father seeketh to kill thee: now therefore, I pray thee, take heed to thyself until the morning, and abide in a secret place, and hide thyself:
- The Lord is always our helper and friend and can take down any enemy. He will be our guide and show us how to escape the enemy.
Hebrews 13:5 . . . for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
- He often sends others as helpers and those who encourage us along the way.
1 Samuel 23:16 And Jonathan Saul’s son arose, and went to David into the wood, and strengthened his hand in God.
4. David had to keep his guard up all the time.
- We need to keep our guard up continually lest the enemy takes over.
(1Sa 19:10) And Saul sought to smite David even to the wall with the javelin; but he slipped away out of Saul’s presence, and he smote the javelin into the wall: and David fled, and escaped that night.
- There could be an enemy right among your friends. Be aware of who your company is and try the spirits to see whether or not they are of God.
1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
5. Jealousy was one things that caused Saul to become David’s enemy.
Oh how sin destroys our lives! One sin can grow and can cause bitterness to spring up into our soul.
Hebrews 12:15 Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;
Are you aware of your enemies?
Are you aware that the enemy seeks your soul every day?
Are you continually watching and seeking the Lord?
Satan is the enemy of our soul and seeks to destroy us.
There are other “enemies” who in the end may not really be enemies. Ask the Lord to give you discernment regarding this for some may just need to be won by love, like this family. (aff. link) These are those that we need to pray for and seek to win to the Lord.
Matthew 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Remember: With God’s help you can overtake and consume the enemy. Trust Him; don’t let the enemy triumph.
Psalms 18:37 I have pursued mine enemies, and overtaken them: neither did I turn again till they were consumed.
Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.