The Great Shepherd – Reflecting on Psalm 23
Reflecting on Psalm 23 and The Great Shepherd
*Note: There are affiliate links associated with this post.
John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
- Ps 23:1 The LORD is my shepherd
- He is mine, not just a shepherd, by my shepherd.
- Sheep need a shepherd. I was a lost sheep and Jesus, The Great Shepherd, found me.
- I am now one of His sheep.
- I Shall not Want
- As one of His sheep, I have no need of want for He meets all of my needs and many of my wants.
- Psalms 23:2-3 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
- He refreshes me. He gives me rest and fills my hunger and thirst for righteousness. He gives peace and stillness to my heart.
- He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
- He restores me. When I have wandered from Him, He brings me back into the fold.
- Once back into the fold, he continues leading me His way, the right way, in the paths of righteousness.
- Psalms 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me;
- When it is time for me to face death, whether myself or a loved one, He is with me and keeps my from fearing any evil.
- He never leaves me. He never forsakes me.
- thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
- He is there comforting me and keeping me from the evil one.
- The evil one has no claim on my soul for I am a child of the king and shall dwell in His palace someday.
- Psalms 23:5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
- Even when the enemy is surrounding me, I can feast at the table of my Lord just by going to the Word of God daily and meditating upon it.
- He blesses me and empowers me with His Holy Spirit.
- Oh how my cup runs over even when I don’t realize it! In the presence of all surrounding enemies, enemies of self, of the devil, of this world, my cup still runs over with blessings innumerable.
- Psalms 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
- The Lord’s goodness and mercy will follow me every single day of my life! What would I do without God’s mercy?
- One day I will dwell in His house forever!
Yes, He is The Great Shepherd and to think that I belong to Him!
He is a tender and loving Shepherd. He is The Great Shepherd!