Psalm 23, although very familiar to many, is a great passage to meditate and reflect upon. These are some thoughts that the Lord gave me while studying this passage and doing some reflecting on our Great Shepherd.
Reflecting on Psalm 23 and The Great Shepherd
John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
*Note: There are affiliate links associated with this post.
- Ps 23:1 The LORD is my shepherd
- He is mine, not just a shepherd, by my shepherd.
- Sheep need a shepherd. I was a lost sheep and Jesus, The Great Shepherd, found me.
- I am now one of His sheep.
- I Shall not Want
- As one of His sheep, I have no need of want for He meets all of my needs and many of my wants.
- Psalms 23:2-3 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
- He refreshes me. He gives me rest and fills my hunger and thirst for righteousness. He gives peace and stillness to my heart.
- He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
- He restores me. When I have wandered from Him, He brings me back into the fold.
- Once back into the fold, he continues leading me His way, the right way, in the paths of righteousness.
- Psalms 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me;
- thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
- He is there comforting me and keeping me from the evil one.
- The evil one has no claim on my soul for I am a child of the king and shall dwell in His palace someday.
- Psalms 23:5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
- Even when the enemy is surrounding me, I can feast at the table of my Lord just by going to the Word of God daily and meditating upon it.
- He blesses me and empowers me with His Holy Spirit.
- Oh how my cup runs over even when I don’t realize it! In the presence of all surrounding enemies, enemies of self, of the devil, of this world, my cup still runs over with blessings innumerable.
- Psalms 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
- The Lord’s goodness and mercy will follow me every single day of my life! What would I do without God’s mercy?
- One day I will dwell in His house forever!