The Holy Spirit is a wonderful gift from God. As Wesley states, “the Holy Spirit is the best of gifts and that which includes every good gift. “Our heavenly Father wants to give us the good gift of the Holy Spirit and all that goes with it. But, first and foremost, you must have had a spiritual birth before accessing all that the Holy Spirit can do for you.
The new life that allows us to start out with God comes through a spiritual birth that is brought forth by the Holy Spirit. “Unless one is born of . . . the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.” Just as man must be physically born into the human family, so man must be spiritually born into God’s family. There is no other option. That is why Jesus said,”You must be born again.”
The Lord desires for us to walk in a heavenly, spiritual life, not a mere earthly, human existence. Only a birth from the Spirit of God could bring us this type of life. ~Hoekstra devo Feb. 23rd
More of the Holy Spirit, if we but ask!
To think about the power we can have in our lives if we but just ask! Fathers know how to and want to give good gifts to their children. So how exciting is the following verse!
Luke 11:13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?
This is the gift of gifts, including in itself all needed good. God loves to have men pray for the greatest blessing he can bestow, the Holy Spirit, which he has promised to those who ask him. If any, therefore, do not receive it, and are not enlightened, sanctified, and saved, it is because they do not in faith and love ask for this blessing. ~FBN
As a Christian, The Holy Spirit now indwells you. But there is so much more!
The Holy Spirit – the gift of all gifts
As you read each of these please take time to read the Scriptures and see for yourself what the Holy Spirit does and can do for the believer.
- He fills us. Luke 1:15
- He teaches us what to say even to our enemies. Mark 13:11
- He comes over us and gives us power to do mighty things. Don’t expect this unless you are seeking God daily and living by His Word. Luke 1:35
- He causes us to prophecy. Our mouths will be opened and the Word of God will come forth. Can it be that we become tongue tied at times because of our unbelief? Zechariah was made dumb because of His unbelief, but when he believed, the Holy Spirit filled him and he spoke the Word of God! Luke 1:67
- He fills us and leads us. Luke 4:1 His filling will cause us to rejoice that our names are written in heaven. There will be no bragging on what we have done, but only glory will be brought to the Lord Jesus Christ. Luke 10:20
- He grants His filling and power the more we ask for Him. Luke 11:13
- He is our helper. He will teach us what to say and bring God’s Word to our remembrance. John 14:26
- He will cause us to witness to those around us. Acts 1:8
- He gives power. Acts 1:8
- He causes us to preach without fear. Acts 4:31
- He will give dying grace. Acts 7:59-60 I can remember a horrible accident I was in several years ago. At the moment, I really thought I was going to die. I was not afraid and I had perfect peace. The indwelling spirit gave peace that passed all understanding and grace if had been my time to go.
- He gives comfort. Acts 9:31
- He convicts hearts through God’s Word. Acts 10:44
- He causes us to be filled with the wonder of it all. Acts 10:45
- He is for all. Acts 11:15
- He draws others to Jesus through the filling in us. Acts 11:22-24
- He is the one who send out laborers. Acts 13:2-3 But we also need to be willing to pray and fast for more laborers.
- He gives us boldness to face the enemy, to look him right in the eye and tell him who he is and rebuke him. Acts 13:9-11
- He gives joy in our hearts amidst persecution. Acts 13:52
- He sends others to help us in times of need, to help bear our burdens. Acts 15:28
- He prepares us for future happenings. Acts 20:22-23 e.g. Paul was ready to be bound in prison
- He makes overseers/shepherds of the flock to lead them away from savage wolves. Acts 20:28
- He pours God’s love out through our hearts. Romans 5:5
- He bears witness with our spirit that we are one of God’s children. Romans 8:16
- He prays for us when we don’t know what to pray. Romans 8:26
- He fills us up with righteousness, peace, and joy. Romans 14:17
- He sanctifies our offerings. Romans 15:16
- He causes us to glorify God through our bodies, which is His temple. 1 Corinthians 6:19
- He produces individual gifts to the believers. 1 Corinthians 12; Hebrews 2:4
- He can be our constant fellowship; we need never be lonely. 2 Corinthians 13:14
- He seals us beyond any doubt. Ephesians 1:13 What assurance in my soul! I am His forever and no one can take that away from me!
- We are not to grieve Him or quench Him. Ephesians 4:30; 1 Thessalonians 5:19
- He produces joy which is a testimony and example to all. 1 Thessalonians 1:6
- He helps us to keep sound Christian doctrine. 2 Timothy 1:14
- He told holy men what to write in God’s Word. 2 Peter 1:21
More than likely, the list could go on. Can you give another example with a Bible Reference included? I would love to hear it. How God loves us to send us this special gift – the gift of the Holy Spirit and all that He does for us! God is good!