What is your Attitude while Praying?
The Israelites were not exactly praying, they were complaining. They were blaming Moses for taking them from Egypt into the desert with no food. They had already forgotten that God provided food every single day! They received Manna in the morning and flesh in the evening. Yet, that was not good enough. They wanted meat and more meat and not manna. How quickly they forget for in the first few verses we read:
Numbers 11:1 And when the people complained, it displeased the LORD: and the LORD heard it; and his anger was kindled; and the fire of the LORD burnt among them, and consumed them that were in the uttermost parts of the camp.
Numbers 11:4-6 And the mixt multitude that was among them fell a lusting: and the children of Israel also wept again, and said, Who shall give us flesh to eat? We remember the fish, which we did eat in Egypt freely; the cucumbers, and the melons, and the leeks, and the onions, and the garlick: But now our soul is dried away: there is nothing at all, beside this manna, before our eyes.
- They forgot the goodness of God, His mercy in His daily provision.
- They fell a lusting. They asked in a complaining manner in order to fulfill their own lusts.
- They cared only for their physical well being rather than their spiritual well being.
- In their minds, Egypt was better than the blessings of the Lord, they had forgotten what it was like to be in bondage.
- They were not asking in order to bring glory to the Lord
- God can do exceeding, abundantly above all that we ask or think. Even when Moses could not see how he would provide so much meat, God responded with Numbers 11:23 And the LORD said unto Moses, Is the LORD’S hand waxed short? thou shalt see now whether my word shall come to pass unto thee or not. He made their request turn into something loathesome.
Numbers 11:20 But even a whole month, until it come out at your nostrils, and it be loathsome unto you: because that ye have despised the LORD which is among you, and have wept before him, saying, Why came we forth out of Egypt?
- God gave them what they wanted even though it was not within His will and then they paid for it.
- Besides being loathsome, God smote them with a very great plague.
Numbers 11:33 And while the flesh was yet between their teeth, ere it was chewed, the wrath of the LORD was kindled against the people, and the LORD smote the people with a very great plague.
How God spoke to me through this passage:
- What is my attitude when I ask God for something?
- What motives do I have in asking God for certain things?
- Is my ultimate desire to bring glory to His name and to know and do His will?
- God says to Psalms 37:4-5 Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass. If my heart is right with Him, then the right desires and wants that I request will be within His will
- Be careful not to presume upon Almighty God.
- May I never forget what God has taken me from! He took me from the muck and mire of sin and gave me salvation full and free! Going back to the world can never compare to the riches that we have in Christ!
I have decided to follow Jesus
I have decided to follow Jesus.
I have decided to follow Jesus.
No turning back, no turning back.