Where are your eyes fastened today? And for what reason are they fastened there? When Jesus was in the synagogue this day, all eyes were fastened on Him. What happened that day?
What caused all eyes to be fastened on Him?
1. It was the custom of Jesus to go the synagogue on the Sabbath.
It should be our custom to be in the house of the Lord. And our customs ought to please Him.
Luke 4:16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.
2. Jesus stood to read God’s Word.
We should have respect for the reading of God’s Word.
3. Jesus was given Isaiah to read
He knew God’s Word and knew what Scripture to turn to for that moment. How well do we know God’s Word?
Luke 4:17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
4. All eyes were fastened on Him (Jesus).
Why were the eyes of all fastened on Him? At that moment, they knew who He was. Though they may have not wanted to admit it, they knew that this was Jesus, the Messiah. Many people know, but they choose to reject.
Luke 4:20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
5. Jesus read the prophecy of the Messiah and at that moment the people knew that He was the Messiah for He said:
Luke 4:21 . . . This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.
Jesus is God. He is the Word of God.
John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Where are your eyes fastened?
- My eyes ought to be fastened on Him daily in order that I may know Him better and learn to trust and obey Him in every situation.
- Some eyes were fastened on Him because they hated Him and wanted to destroy Him.
- Some eyes may have been fastened on Him because they were curious and were seeking God.
- Still other eyes may have been fastened on Him because they were looking for something good to happen to them. They had seen his miracles and were hoping for one for themselves.
What ever the case or the reason for eyes to be fastened on Him, one thing is for sure:
God’s Word said that Scripture was fulfilled in their ears. They had heard and seen with their own eyes the Messiah, yet they refused to believe.
Let us fasten our eyes on Jesus today; let’s keep our eyes fastened on His Word. Let’s prepare Him an habitation daily.
If you are an unbeliever, don’t delay any longer. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.
If you are a believer, then, get in His Word daily and believe what He says and act on it.
Keep your eyes fastened on Him!
Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.
-Helen H. Lemmel, 1922
Let’s keep in touch and share Biblical Encouragement