This is Sanctity of Life Month:
Sanctity of Human Life Sunday is held on the closest Sunday to the anniversary of the Jan. 22, 1973 decision by the U.S. Supreme Court to legalize abortion in the Roe V. Wade case.
Check the US Abortion Clock and see what the abortion statistics are. It really is amazing and unbelievable!
Here are a few quick facts regarding life. We are made in God’s image and surely life is precious in God’s sight. May we use ours for His glory!
- Day 1 – conception takes place.
- 7 days – tiny human implants in mother’s uterus.
- 10 days – mother’s menses stop.
- 18 days – heart begins to beat.
- 21 days – pumps own blood through separate closed circulatory system with own blood type.
- 28 days – eye, ear and respiratory system begin to form
- 42 days – brain waves recorded, skeleton complete, reflexes present.
- 7 weeks – Thumbsucking may be present.
- 8 weeks – all body systems present.
- 9 weeks – squints, swallows, moves tongue, makes fist.
- 11 weeks – spontaneous breathing movements, has fingernails, all body systems working.
- 12 weeks – weighs one ounce.
- 16 weeks – genital organs clearly differentiated, grasps with hands, swims, kicks, turns, somersaults, (still not felt by the mother.)
- 18 weeks – vocal cords work – can cry.
- 20 weeks – has hair on head, weighs one pound, 12 inches long.
- 23 weeks – 15% chance of viability outside of womb if birth premature.*
- 24 weeks – 56% of babies survive premature birth.*
- 25 weeks – 79% of babies survive premature birth.*
(*Source: M. Allen et. al., “The Limits of Viability.” New England Journal of Medicine. 11/25/93: Vol. 329, No. 22, p. 1597.)
Would you consider an abortion in the following four situations?
- There’s a preacher and wife who are very, very poor. They already have 14 kids. Now she finds out she is pregnant with the 15th. They are living in tremendous poverty. Considering their poverty, and the excessive world population, would you consider recommending she get an abortion?
- The father is sick with sniffles, the mother has TB. They have four children. The first is blind, the second died, the third is deaf and the fourth has TB. She finds she is pregnant again. Given the extreme situation, would you consider recommending abortion?
- A white man raped a 13 year old black girl and she got pregnant. If you were her parents, would you consider recommending abortion?
- A teenage girl is pregnant. She’s not married. Her fiancee’ is not the father of the baby, and he is very upset. Would you consider abortion?
Well how about this one?
This baby girl who should have been aborted grew up and married a preacher. She has been a godly example to many ladies and has raised three godly daughters of her own. She is not just some person that I read about in a book. She is a friend of mine and has been a great influence in my own life as well. God had a plan for her as He does for all of us!